Williamsport Trolley History
It was a time of prosperity and growth. As the lumber industry thrived, so did the residents of Williamsport. By the mid-1800's Williamsport was known throughout the nation as the Lumber Capital of the world and a city of millionaires. These millionaires provided the funds and impetus for Williamsport's first form of public transportation - the streetcar. In 1863, Governor Andrew Curtin signed a charter creating the Williamsport Passenger Railway Company.
Under the direction of Peter Herdic, construction of the railway began. In 1865, streetcar service started in time for the State Fair, held in Williamsport. The first streetcars were horse-drawn and equipped with a small stove to keep passengers warm in the winter. Electric streetcars were introduced to Williamsport in 1891, one year prior to those in Philadelphia. They operated in the city until June 11, 1933, when the last trolley rolled to a halt.
Today, Williamsport River Valley Transit recreates that era with the Peter Herdic, Anne Weightman, and Carl Stotz Trolleys touring the sites of the City, and be transported back to the days of the lumber barons.